Update : Sep. 17, 2014
The new index will be composed of companies with high appeal for investors, which meet requirements of global investment standards, such as efficient use of capital and investor-focused management perspectives. The new index will promote the appeal of Japanese corporations domestically and abroad, while encouraging continued improvement of corporate value, thereby aiming to revitalize the Japanese stock market.
JPX-Nikkei Index 400
Abbrev.: JPX-Nikkei 400
|The Index Provider||Japan Exchange Group, Inc./Tokyo Stock Exchange, Inc. and Nikkei Inc.|
|Eligible Issues||TSE-listed issues (1st Section, 2nd Section, Mothers, JASDAQ)|
Constituent selection and review will be conducted as follows.
Constituents are selected according to the following process and criteria.
① Screening by Eligibility Criteria
Issues are excluded from selection if they fall under any of the following criteria.
- Listed for under 3 years (excluding technical listings)
- Liabilities in excess of assets during any of the past 3 fiscal years
- Operating deficit in all of the past 3 fiscal years
- Overall deficit in all of the past 3 fiscal years
- Designation as Security to be Delisted, etc.
② Screening by Market Liquidity Indicator
The top 1000 issues will be selected from those eligible, excluding the above, in consideration of the following 2 items.
- Trading value during the most recent 3 years
- Market capitalization on the base date for selection
(2) Scoring based on Quantitative Indicators
The 1,000 issues selected in (1) will be scored according to the ranking of the following 3 items. (1st: 1000 points – 1000th: 1 point). Then, overall score is determined by aggregating those ranking scores with the following weights. (There are handling rules for the overall scoring with negative ROE and operating profit.)
- 3-year average ROE: 40%
- 3-year cumulative operating profit: 40%
- Market capitalization on the base date for selection: 20%
(3) Scoring based on Qualitative Factors
Following the scoring in (2), issues will be further scored based on the following 3 items. This score is complementarily added to the quantitative scores explained above (2)*.
- Appointment of Independent Outside Directors (at least 2)
- Adoption or Scheduled Adoption of IFRS (pure IFRS)
- Disclosure of English Earnings Information via TDnet (Company Announcements Distribution Service in English)
* The score is determined so that at most around 10 constituents are different from those chosen with only quantitative score above (2).
(4) Determination of Constituents
Following scoring in (3), the 400 issues will be selected in descending order of high scores as constituents.
There is a preferential rule for previous year constituents.
Constituents selected in the previous year will be selected as long as their scores are ranked within the top 440.
A constituent review will be conducted on the last business day of August each year with the last business day of June as the base date. (The result of the constituent review will be announced on the 5th business day of August)
|Free-float adjusted market capitalization-weighted (with 1.5% cap)|
January 6, 2014 (Mon.)
Real-time dissemination (per 1 sec.) of the index via Tokyo Stock Exchange’s Market Information System
|August 30, 2013 / 10,000 points|
|Constituents List with Weight and FFW Ratio Following Cap-adjustment (As of Aug 29, 2014)|
|Change of FFW Ratio Following Cap-adjustment (updated on September 17, 2014)|
|Data regarding Periodic Review|
|JPX-Nikkei Index 400 Guidebook （June 2, 2014）|
|Aug 7, 2014||Periodic Review of JPX-Nikkei Index 400|
|Aug 5, 2014||Calculation of JPX-Nikkei Index 400 in relation to shares of ITOCHU Corporation (8001)|
|Jun 2, 2014||Revision of the Guidebook for JPX-Nikkei Index 400|
|Mar 10, 2014||Calculation of JPX-Nikkei Index 400 in relation to shares of NIPPON TELEGRAPH AND TELEPHONE CORPORATION. (9432)|
|Dec 30, 2013||The retroactive index value of JPX-Nikkei Index 400|
|Dec 24, 2013||The FFW Changes for JPX-Nikkei Index 400|
|Dec 10, 2013||The retroactive index value of JPX-Nikkei Index 400|
|Nov 25, 2013||Free Float Weight for JPX-Nikkei Index 400|
|Nov 6, 2013||Start of Calculation and Publication of New Index "JPX-Nikkei Index 400"|
|Jul. 30, 2013||Outline of New Jointly Developed Index|
|May. 14, 2013||JPX Group and Nikkei Agree on Joint Development of New Index|